Wednesday, November 9, 2011

11/9/11

Today I will not be at school.  I have a meeting up at the district.  The kids are going to continue working on their new DBQ about Athens and Rome:  Which was the better system?  They are going to be analyzing the first two documents and answering questions on them.  If they don't finish them in class, then they will have to finish them at home tonight for homework.

In math yesterday, we worked on converting percents greater than 100% and less than 1% to fractions and decimals.  Many of the kids did fine, but I saw some confused faces.  If your child had a hard time with last night's homework, I suggest that they practice some more problems out of the text book.  I believe it was 5-4 part B.  Don't quote me on that one, I don't have my workbook with me.

We will continue reviewing all of the skills that have been taught daily so that they can keep practicing what we are doing.  This is a long chapter and I want to make sure they have a firm grasp on everything that has been taught.  Some of the main things that they need to know are:
1.  A fraction bar means divide, so if you are turning a fraction into a decimal or a percent, you can divide to find the answer.
2.  A percent is out of 100, so if it is a decimal, you can move the decimal 2 places to the right, or multiply times 100 to turn it into a percent.  If it is a fraction, if you get the denominator to 100, then the numerator is your answer.
3. When going from a decimal to a percent, you can move the decimal two places to the RIGHT, but if you are converting from a percent to a decimal, you move the decimal two places to the LEFT.

This is all going to become more important as we begin to work more with comparing numbers that are written in all different formats.  Also, we are going to start working with finding the percent of a number and estimating what we think it should be as well.

I have received t-shirt orders from about 1/2 of the 6th graders.  They are due by November 15th, which is next Tuesday.  If you have not yet turned them in, please try to get it in by Thursday or Monday.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment